|Location: Teddington, Middlesex
Sectors: Business Magazines, Consumer Magazines, Digital / Online, Advertising, Customer Publishing
Salary: Depending on experience
Functions: Business Development, Sales Manager, Account Management, Agency Sales, Advertisement Manager, Advertisement Director
An incredibly exciting position has arisen as Ad Director on the launch of Forever Sports magazine. Published by the Content and Digital Agency, Haymarket Network, on behalf of a high profile client, this monthly magazine is aimed at the young male consumer. The Ad Director role reports into the Account Director running the client account.
FOREVER SPORTS. The new fitness, style and sport magazine with attitude.
The days of lads’ mags are long gone – our 18-25 year old readers care deeply about their bodies during the week, purely so they can go out to use and abuse them at the weekend. They all share three things in common – the desire to look good, feel good and have fun.
Featuring exclusive interviews with the world’s coolest sports stars at the top of their game, our readers will be inspired by the likes of Mark Cavendish, Floyd Mayweather and Mo Farah.
Each month, our readers will receive the best style and fitness advice so they can achieve their goals of looking good on the inside and out. Forever Sports is the monthly manual that will help young men to up their game: in the gym, on the pitch and on the town.
- To maximise Forever Sports’ revenues and profits from commercial activities in your market Scope
- You are responsible for maximising profitable business revenues across media platforms within your market. This includes (where appropriate) display and classified advertising, sponsorship, special projects & direct customer work both personally and via your sales teams
- You are the commercial figurehead for Forever Sports Magazine in your market both externally and internally.
- You will plan and execute sales strategies within your market to deliver sustainable commercial returns from your client base.
- You will develop and reinforce ‘best practice’ sales principles across your sales teams in conjunction with other Ad Directors. You will be responsible for creating a structure that delivers a consistent approach to sales activities, KPIs, performance measurement and reward.
Personal Sales Responsibility
- Client base - establish a manageable & influential personal client base.
- Maximise revenue and profit from this base, achieving with your own clients what you expect your team to achieve with theirs.
- Contact levels - create and maintain effective contact with clients and agencies at a senior level* across your market, regardless of your own personal client base.
- *client level – marketing managers and directors, agency level – media managers and group heads.
- Market Profile – create and maintain an unrivalled media profile within your market through attendance at conferences, shows, events etc.
- Knowledge - possess a comprehensive understanding of your market and yours and competitor products and positioning within. Understand your clients’ business, key objectives and business drivers.
- Revenue Generation - ensure the product/team for which you are responsible deliver maximum revenue from your market in line with budget and forecast expectations.
- Identify new revenue opportunities and execute plans to successfully deliver additional revenue and profit from your market.
- Sales Plan and Strategy - create the sales plan for the products within your market and communicate them effectively to Sales Managers.
- Sales Reporting – produce regular sales performance reports for your Sales Director, Publisher and client. These should include market share performance, revenue reports and sales activity reports
- Client Liaison – to quickly instil a deep level of trust with the ultimate brand owner, to support the Publisher in their customer relationship management
- Business Planning – create and deliver business plans in line with client and business expectations.
- Budgets - produce annual budgets. Identify areas for development and/or rationalization & understand the business implications.
- Ensure that budgeted costs and revenues are adhered to/delivered
- Forecasting – produce accurate weekly and monthly forecasts and explain any key variances.
- Marketing – develop marketing plan for the products within your market which makes best use of the ad promo budgets. To include trade advertising, awards entries (externally and internally), and client entertainment.
- Sales tools – create the best sales tools for your products. To include research, presentations and media packs
People Management and Development
- Staff Management - coach, develop and motivate your Sales Managers. Provide support to them but allow them the headroom to develop.
- Manage your manager - manage upwards effectively. Manage expectations and over-deliver not under-deliver.
- Crisis and problem management – react calmly under pressure and resolve problems quickly and efficiently. Delegate decisions to your Sales Managers and teams and encourage them to devise the solution.
- Staff – regularly target and appraise your Sales Managers and set realistic but challenging objectives.
- Always have a staff succession plan.
- Time management - prioritise your workload and create realistic deadlines. Ensure effective division of your time.
You may be required to work outside of the set company hours in order to best represent your market. This may include weekend and evening work e.g. client trips, shows, awards ceremonies etc.
- Proven sales ability and experience in delivering robust and profitable sales solutions to clients.
- Proven experience in man/team management, including successfully developing, motivating and targeting individual staff and teams.
- Demonstrable senior sales experience within client companies/agencies
- A personal network of key decision makers within your current market
- Proven track record in creating and delivering sales/business plans – you must be able to demonstrate this against budgets, business plans and market share performance.
- Ability to build trust with a demanding client and ultimate brand owner
- Impeccable interpersonal skills with the ability to build strong relationships at senior level throughout the Haymarket Media Group
Product and on the job training will be given to you by your manager. Appropriate in-house and external training will also be supplied within the extensive framework Haymarket Media Group offers. Where relevant you will also be given the opportunity to attend relevant industry conferences, exhibitions and forums.
About Haymarket Media Group
Whether you’re looking to start a career in media or you’re already an established player, why not come and join this influential publisher, with an outstanding history of success and a future full of growth, expansion and exciting challenges?